Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Motown...Especially Marvin Gaye
Lately I've been listening to a lot of Motown. My favorite is Marvin Gaye, but I like lots of others as well. I have the soundtrack from the movie "Four Brothers" and it is entirely Motown. My favorite song on it is by Marvin Gaye called "Trouble Man." I can't quite say what it is about this kind of music that really gets to me. I suppose it rather haunts me...but in a different, more modern way than other music that is haunting. Maybe the hardships that the artists endured came out more in their music than anywhere else. Or maybe it is just the quality of Motown. I find it sort of gritty, and industrial and sometimes so cold. But at the same time, it sticks to me. It doesn't depress me, but rather puts me in a mellow mood that makes me feel that I am ready for anything, even if only bad things are on the horizon at that moment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment