I first ran into Hound Dog Taylor when I heard his cover of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say?" I had to have it so I got his "Loose the Hounds" disc, passed it on to Alex in the Mineral Orange Whale CD Exchange, and then got Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers Deluxe Edition. Hound Dog sings and plays the screamy blues, fast and loud and in the higher registers.
In fact, listening to Hound Dog's blues makes me not have the blues, and also makes me work a lot faster and dance around when no one is looking. He's not quite as good as Big Brother and the Holding Company in "Cheap Thrills" for frustration release, but is certainly in the top ten. Unfortunately, Hound Dog is dead. He died four years after doing his first record, so what we have is what there is. Anyone who wants can borrow my disc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I do!!! (Want to borrow your disc, that is)
This was one of my favorite Mineral Oranges. I especially recommend it after a particularly long day at work, or when all your friends and family are far away, or while eating barbecue. The Hound understands.
Post a Comment