
And then there is Antonio Carlos Jobim. Definitely NOT a guilty pleasure, just a sheer pleasure pleasure. My copy of this incredible Latin American jazz is extra supreme in my opinion. Why? Well, I'll tell you. I have a pal who among many musical talents (extraordinary guitar player, drummer, etc.) is also really good at the recording/technological side of music. Anyway, he has this LP of Antonio Carlos Jobim and he recorded the LP onto his computer. And the copy of it is just a whole lot better (I think anyway) than a "professional" one because you can hear the soft scritchiness of the LP...and I love it. Anyway, so the point of that is to tell you that if you want, I'm happy to give you a copy of the one I have. But now for the music.
Antonio Carlos Jobim, as I mentioned, is some great Brazilian jazz. Some of his you might know and not realize it, The Girl From Impanema, Sabia, and Tereza My Love to name a few. His work has been covered many times over by a spectrum of artists. The music on "Stone Flower" is simply, really great. It almost has that 1960s hotel lobby feel...which I personally like...one song, 'Andorinha' sounds totally like it should be playing in the background of a scene in The Pink Panther, where Clouseau is disguised as Guy Gadbois in some lounge...
This album is rich and smooth, and if you're at all interested in jazz, especially in some early roots of bossa nova, definitely try this album out. Couple faves: 'Choro' has a little flute in in that cracks me up, but just because of the "lounginess"of it. 'Brazil' was an early favorite of mine, it makes you want to shuffle around the room. And of course, 'Sabia' is a beautiful song, and once again we were treated to Jobim's silky voice. A great album, great composer. Ah. I love jazz.
No comments:
Post a Comment