
I can't even believe that I'm blogging this...or admitting that I like Cursive. But, hey, maybe it could spawn a funny trend of everyone's guilty pleasure music. I think that would be most interesting, and I promise not to make fun of anyone (except maybe Al) if you promise not to make fun of me!
For starters, let me just say, that of all of Cursive's albums, I only have two. And I've only listened to one...The Ugly Organ. I guess that for so many years being in the company of 15-18 year olds I got used to hearing this kind of music. It's the local band that really isn't THATTT good, but for some reason they acquire a large following at Velour in Provo, sound. And usually the band members are pretty cute. The not-really-emo-but-kind-of genre. The slightly whiney voices...ah, it's so hard to explain my generation. Well anyway. It's just a little bit... "scene" music. The "scene" includes everyone wearing really tight pegged jeans that look terrible on them, unnaturally skinny boys and girls who cut their hair all skeewompas and spend all day on Myspace. Ugh.
Okay, so I think I like this one album of this band just because it will forever remind me of being 16 and going to high school. Also, they are a step above the regular scene music...they have SOME interesting musical elements...the first 55 second track of an organ wailing IS pretty neat...
As for the rest of the album, it's just young-band "poetic lyrics" and kind of wussy drumming and guitar riffs. The organ's presence throughout the songs is neat, and I really like the transition between "Some Red Handed Slight Of Hand" and "Art Is Hard"...oh and "The Recluse" is cool...in fact, these are the first few songs so usually I just listen to them and maybe one other track. I dunno. Don't listen to it unless you don't have a choice or unless you desperately want to know what every single local band in Utah sounds like. Or heck, go ahead if you want to. But they aren't that bad. Really. I just roll the window up in the car when I listen to them.
For starters, let me just say, that of all of Cursive's albums, I only have two. And I've only listened to one...The Ugly Organ. I guess that for so many years being in the company of 15-18 year olds I got used to hearing this kind of music. It's the local band that really isn't THATTT good, but for some reason they acquire a large following at Velour in Provo, sound. And usually the band members are pretty cute. The not-really-emo-but-kind-of genre. The slightly whiney voices...ah, it's so hard to explain my generation. Well anyway. It's just a little bit... "scene" music. The "scene" includes everyone wearing really tight pegged jeans that look terrible on them, unnaturally skinny boys and girls who cut their hair all skeewompas and spend all day on Myspace. Ugh.
Okay, so I think I like this one album of this band just because it will forever remind me of being 16 and going to high school. Also, they are a step above the regular scene music...they have SOME interesting musical elements...the first 55 second track of an organ wailing IS pretty neat...
As for the rest of the album, it's just young-band "poetic lyrics" and kind of wussy drumming and guitar riffs. The organ's presence throughout the songs is neat, and I really like the transition between "Some Red Handed Slight Of Hand" and "Art Is Hard"...oh and "The Recluse" is cool...in fact, these are the first few songs so usually I just listen to them and maybe one other track. I dunno. Don't listen to it unless you don't have a choice or unless you desperately want to know what every single local band in Utah sounds like. Or heck, go ahead if you want to. But they aren't that bad. Really. I just roll the window up in the car when I listen to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment