
This CD was a gift from the Capeners so I really wanted to like it. And I admit Adele's voice is incredible. She is extremely talented. It is just that she sings in a style that had become very popular of late that I just can't get myself to like. "Too many flutations!" to quote from my dad. It is the style I associate most with Mariah Carey, though she probably wasn't the first to use it or even one of the best. I don't know how to describe it but I'm sure you would know what I mean if you heard it. It made me wonder about likes and dislikes in music. What tiny thing is it that triggers a response in us, good or bad? There certainly must be some common ground, shown by the fact that some songs are seemingly nearly universally popular, yet even with people of similar musical tastes, a seeming insignificant difference can make all the difference in terms of likes or dislikes. Anyway, Adele is indeed a very talented singer, and the second time through the CD (I keep wanting to write "album") her "flutations" didn't bother me near as much as the first time.
5 comments:
I know exactly what sort of music you mean here, and I must admit I have never been a huge fan of the type. However, I am always rather stunned at how powerful and beautiful these singers voices are, and just wish that they would have made something that I liked better.
Yeah, I think of them as the warblers, and the biggest problem is that everyone tries to sound like that now. I makes you want to listen to that single pure tone of say, a Julie Andrews.
I agree -- technical ability doesn't necessarily make great music. I'm not familiar with Adele, but I do know that I wince every time I hear the song that goes "And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeeeeeIIIIeeeeeIIII... willalwayslove Yooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuoooooouuuuuuoouuu..."
Yeah. You've described it exactly, Al. Let's talk Whitney Houston. Or better yet, let's NOT talk her.
Also, I especially hate when people sing that kind of music in sacrament meeting.
Post a Comment