Saturday, January 29, 2011

HEART Red Velvet Car


Not quite up to "Barracuda" or "Dog and Butterfly" but very close. The voices are strong, the guitar licks and percussion are as intense as ever. I really liked this album and played it as loud as I could all the way to work and all the way back. I had put it on hold at the library and I happened to be in the circulation room when it came in. One of the clerks said "I can't believe Heart is still making CDs" and I said, they are, but they are really old--gimme that. She was a little embarrassed for fear she had dissed me, but I didn't mind because I grew up in the era of better music than the era she was growing up in . . . to my mind, of course. Worth a lot of listens, particularly on frustrating days.

3 comments:

MJ said...

I didn't know they were still making albums either - but I have recently been collecting some of their better songs so thanks for the tip that they have new stuff too.

lrh said...

Thanks for sharing the cd for me to listen to. It's them, alrighty, and they sound pretty good for being as old as (we, they) are. Not quite as jagged around the edges as they used to be, a little more rounded and mellow, I think, but a nice sound. And to think they used to play stake dances in Seattle, back in the day. What might a stake dance have sounded like with the Wilson sisters instead of some high school guy singing "House of the Rising Sun?" Wow.

lw said...

I'd like to have been to such a Stake Dance. Maybe I wouldn't have wanted to hide in the bathroom or the unoccupied hallways as much as I did.