Sunday, June 29, 2008

New Impossibilities

The music on this CD by Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble is just the kind I like--exotic instruments played with great dash and fervor, unusual rhythms, and Yo-Yo Ma's ravishing cello running through and underneath it all.  "New Impossibilities" puts
 me in mind of the time Stephen and Mindy took me to the Ravi Shankar concert, though nothing can quite compare with that otherworldly experience, one of the great musical experiences of my life. Still, this is sweetly reminiscent.  My two favorite cuts (so far) are 
1. The Arabian Waltz and      
4. Song of Eight Unruly Tipsy Poets (which I think is a stupid title for some really good music).
New Impossibilities

3 comments:

janers said...

Not only is Yo Yo Ma's music incredible (I first got started on him during High School), but his name makes a comfortable feeling in your mouth. Try saying it. Go ahead. Yo yo Ma. Yo yo Ma. Yo yo Ma. Comfortable.

lrh said...

Did you know Norah Jones is Ravi Shankar's daughter?

lw said...

No lie! No clue!