Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Requesting Advice

I am thinking of getting either an iPod or an MP3 player. Can anyone tell me the relative merits of each? I know that Amazon downloads only to MP3, and that the downloadable books available from the library also only download to MP3, but on the other hand, iPod is Apple.
I would be glad for any information, anecdotal or technical. Thanks!

7 comments:

janers said...

We have an iPod, and I really love it, but then again sometimes it drives me nuts. The program that it uses on the computer is called iTunes and while some (Alex) like it, I often find it confusing and maddening. It is hard to say which kind would be better to get...iGuess it depends whether you want to be part of the iCrowd or not.

a.g.h said...

Yeah I have an iPod as well. I love it but that's probably just because I've had it for so long and have gotten used to it and iTunes (which can indeed be maddening and can sometimes be quite a space hog ((not the band, but I do have some spacehog on there)) on your computer). I think iPods have a better design/organizing scheme than mp3s, but those I know who have mp3s swear by how much better they are. So. You'll just have to look at both I guess. Whichever you get, be sure to get a good protective covering!

lw said...

Thanks. It seems like your Dad and Jake have MP3s. Is that true? or am I making it up?

a.g.h said...

Yeah I know Jake has an MP3 but my dad has an ipod touch.

lrh said...

I do have an ipod touch and I really like it. It's got plenty of memory (8 gigs). I have about 20 1/2 hour Russian tv clips on it, plus hundreds of music clips and it shows only having used a small fraction of the memory. It also holds photos, and you can supposedly get onto wifi with it but I haven't had time to try that out yet. I have started getting video podcasts, though, and really like that. The National Geographic one is great. Unfortunately the ipod touch is about 2ce as expensive as just a plain old ipod, but you do get tons more.
--Bogman

xhart said...

Note also that iPods can play mp3s or just about any other kind of format. It used to be that tracks you bought at the iTunes store couldn't be played elsewhere, but Apple has just dropped the restrictions even there. Anyway, mp3s are a good way to go -- on my iTunes here at work I have 2,547 mp3 tracks and zero iTunes aac format tracks. Works just fine.

It just so happens that I did a fair amount of research on this very topic this year, and I came to the conclusion that in terms of the hardware, the iPod itself and its variants are clearly superior to anything else on the market. In the higher capacity models -- 80GB or 160GB -- they don't even have any competition to speak of.

Jane does bring up a good point with the software, though. Contrary to the rumours I'm not a huge fan of iTunes but it does work. It's definitely an Apple product -- you don't have a lot of control, but it's stable and relatively easy to learn (with occasional maddening bits, as Jane mentions). Even with those, however, I think the qualities of the iPod itself still outweigh the shortcomings of the software when you're comparing it to other products.

But don't take it from me! For more info on the iPod and other iJunk, a great source is www.ilounge.com. CNET (www.cnet.com) is also good for any kind of electronics reviews, including mp3 players of all stripes.

Good luck with the search!

lw said...

Thanks for all the advice and help.
Nancy bought me an iPod Classic for my birthday, and although I am struggling to learn how to use it, I am looking forward to all the things I will be able to do with it. Cheers!