Sunday, November 18, 2007

Alicia de Larrocha, Spanish Dances by Granados


I'm still on my classical music obsession so here is another album I really like. I bought it because of "Andalusia" one of the Spanish dances I heard growing up. It was one of those like Grieg's "Wedding at Troldhaugen" that is a favorite I guess as a practice piece because I remember my brother and my sisters playing it a lot (I don't know why I was the only one who never learned to play the piano, actually I do, irredeemably lazy), and I love to hear it now as it reminds me of old, good times. But the rest of the album is also delightful, especially "Oriental andante." What a beautiful piece!-- and I like it not just because it has oriental in the title. Actually it reminds of a Christmas song the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings. de Larrocha is, as far as I can tell, universally regarded as the best interpreter of Granados's works. And even for a non-piano player such as myself, it sounds great.

5 comments:

lw said...

You may be interested to know that Alicia de Larrocha came into the Provo Library once to inquire after a place to get her hair done. She was an imposing figure--what a presence! I love her playing, as well.

saw said...

I AM interested to know. What a strange story. It raises all sorts of questions, like: what was Alicia de Larrocha doing in Provo? And why did she want to get her hair done there? And who would go to the library to ask where to get one's hair done? I would have never thought to do that. (of course I would never actually get my hair "done" either, so I guess I am not qualified to question her inquiring)

lw said...

My recollections are unfortunately dim--she was in Provo to play a concert at BYU. It seems like she came into the library with someone and for something else--I was working in Audio-Visual then. I told her where I got my hair done, and then when I went there I heards stories about the lady who came in and was very austere and particular about how to get her hair done. She had jet-black hair snatched back into a very tight bun. It was clear that she didn't suffer fools gladly, and, unfortunately, I was a fool. And yet, I treasure the meeting.

Claudia Adriana said...

hey! When did she came to the Provo library?

lw said...

I'm way too old to remember--probably late 80s or early 90s.
Sometime before her death . . . ha ha