I should have entitled this post "And now for something completely different...", at least from the last few posts. I don't really know how to classify Dan Hicks, but is one of those guys that has been around for a long time, just not famous with the masses. This album is good because he does a bunch of his better songs with folks who are at least a bit more famous than him. Strangely my favorite on this album is "Strike While It's Hot" with Bette Midler. Not on this album (see Beatin' the Heat) but also worth a listen is one called "My Cello". Many of the songs on this album are there too, just not in the duet version.
If you are wondering what type of music Dan Hicks (and the Hot Licks of course) plays, I can honestly say I don't know. I do know it is somewhat jazzy, wildly swinging, sometimes strange but always enjoyable music. It's the kind of music you listen to when you just need to smile or feel like moving around a bit. In general I'd say this isn't the kind of music you listen to an album worth at a time, but get a few songs for those times you need a pick-me-up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Have not heard of Dan Hicks, but he sounds like my kind of guy. I'm going to look him up.
Sounds great! I'm going to check this one out, too.
Post a Comment