Tuesday, September 23, 2008

IN RAINBOWS

Radiohead  "In Rainbows"
     You may be surprised that I used Radiohead's latest album for background music in
the library storyroom while I was assembling gift packets for the American Library Services
for Children Institute.  It was pleasant.  The only song that stood out for me was the first
one which is either called "15" or "Step", but the disc cover and and liner notes were so funky in their layout that I couldn't tell for sure.  I know this review is self-indulgent and unhelpful, but there you have it.

3 comments:

xhart said...

As a longtime RHead fan, I downloaded this album from their website before it was available in wide release. The deal was you could download the whole thing and pay whatever you thought it was worth (in British pounds, of course), or nothing. I chose to pay 7lbs 77 pence, because I thought it sounded cool. Unfortunately I forgot about the whole "worthless dollar" thing, so ended up paying quite a bit more than I expected. And thus ended my foray into international commerce.

I thought the album was great, though. Highly recommended for established fans; others may want to start off with one of their more accessible works, like OK Computer.

Or use it as background music. The Provo Libe went up several notches in coolness that day.

lw said...

Which the Provo Library could use. I got stung on Amazon UK after the dollar tanked, too. From now on I'll wait for the sequels to Stoneheart and Ironhand.

lrh said...

I loved this album, which Anne copied for me, thus somewhat allaying the overall cost to the Hart family. There is a fantastic live concert of Radiohead in Los Angeles, I believe, which you can listen to on NPR's music page. It is unbelievable--these guys are in a class by themselves. I heard an interview once with Thom Yorke and he actually sounded totally normal, which for some reason you don't expect with creative types.