Sunday, August 5, 2007

Marco Mendoza

Luckily I have this pool of friends who are nearly all musicians, so new artists are always being introduced to me. Marco Mendoza was the guitar player for Thin Lizzy I believe...although this new CD that I came across of his is all jazz. I liked it without really thinking, I'll like anything with a deep bass that I play driving on the freeway at night...
The CD is just a bunch of songs by this Mendoza character, it's not an actual album. Most of it is decent...it'd be a lot better live I'm sure. However, I keep listening to it because he does this version of "Ain't No Sunshine" that for some reason just speaks to me, and I feel kind of lame listening to the song on repeat so I just let the CD play a couple times to hear it, heh heh. Maybe it's just the night/freeway thing again. But anywho, it's got this great bass line, a sweet little keyboard solo, and is all over just so BLUE and DRAMATIC. Ahh...definitely worth a listen if you like the bass. The other songs are in the same feel, with the cool synth chords and slightly funky melody, but they really are in the shadow of the "Ain't No Sunshine" rendition. As usual..lemme know if you want a listen.

2 comments:

lw said...

I sooo want to listen!

lw said...

Would love to hear it. Aunt L